Friday 11 June 2010

Batt Attack

I'm not feeling brilliant today, and I'm not sure why. I don't have a cold or hay fever, or anything concrete like that, maybe I've just got the blues. I was hoping it was going to be nice and sunny today to cheer me up, but sadly (despite glimpses of sun earlier) it has turned out to be one of those in between days. ah well, at least  its not heavy and humid. I was planning to lug the drumcarder outside and do some carding but i think i may do it inside instead (breeze is a bit chilly). but on the subject of drumcaders, I finally got up the nerve to card the fleece. and It was Awesome! I swear, in the last couple of days i have produced the best batts I've made so far. its like I've turned a corner or something, just goes to show that practice does pay off.
                                                                   
these are my first ever textured batts, the curly blue faced Leicester fleece I dyed was amazing through the drumcarder (though I need to be a bit more rigorous about picking the twigs out as i discovered half way through). I put the Falkland in as well as the bluefaced Leicester, and also quite a bit of kid mohair and silk. I was also going to put nepps in, but i never got round to it, and on balance, i don't think they need them anyway. I cant wait to spin them.



these are  my newest hotchpotch batts (there was only supposed to be one, but when i took it of the drumcarder it was 30g shy. so i made a mini batt to go with it to make up the weight). as usual they have a bit of everything in them as they're made from all the goodness that comes off that gets left on the drumcarder after I've finished carding a batt, and are lovely (though as usual very hard to photograph), there's even some of of the nylon I dyed in there.



these 4 batts are all my spindrift blend (lots and lots of silk in there besides other goodies, theres even a little alpaca), wonderfully smooth, think I've really got into my stride with smooth batts, which is nice. I swear i put about 8 different colours in them (somehow, it works),


I've also been planning a present for a friend shhhhh, don't tell them, its supposed to be a surprise but i cant work out what to spin, I've got so much beautiful fibre littering my bedroom at the moment (some mine, some other peoples) its really hard to choose. maybe I'll spin one of the top's i dyed myself, that would be a nice present and very colourful. hmm, have to think about it some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment